< SPRINNGGG BREEAAAKKKK!!!! <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Breaking Even for Culture
I have seen the snakes movie, and I am happy to report that it lived up to my terrifically bad expectations. It even had shameless Red Bull product placement. I know at this point -- post hype, post poor box office -- it's not as "cool" any more. But I submit this: it is!

When we got home Saturday night, Fatso, Texaken, and a belligerantly drunk yet surprisingly loud Tom, stayed up flipping back and forth between Vacation, for which we had the uncanny and not-at-all-annoying-to-anyone-else knack of quoting five lines ahead of the script, and the Sci-Fi Networks original, Sabre Tooth. Sabre Tooth was about a sabre tooth tiger that went all mad crazy on some campers or scientists or something. It made a nice companion piece for SOAP.

Yesterday I tried to redeem myself by watching part 2 of Spike Lee's Katrina documentary. It was really great. I don't know why, but I have an allergy to Important filmmakers who tackle delicate social issues, but Spike Lee was the perfect guy for this. He doesn't pretend to be impartial (Bush and national government in general rightfully get most of the blame), but he pretty much lets the images of destruction, poverty, and wrecked lives speak for themselves in a voice that's similar to his own -- pissed off and sometimes satirical.

And then, when it was over, I watched Better off Dead for the zillionth time.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com