< SPRINNGGG BREEAAAKKKK!!!! <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 20, 2006

I hate grocery shopping
Not as much as I used to. I used to put it off until I had nothing but mustard and pasta left. I'd try and time my visits perfectly, so I could catch the grocery store off guard, when its crowds were low. Now I can suck it up and go pretty much any time. I've matured. But if I had to choose between grocery shopping, and watching an episode of So You Think You Can Dance.... please don't make me choose.

My favorite kind of people at the grocery store are the cell-chatters. I'm guilty of this myself. But I keep my head up. I maintain a tight cart-navigation to shopping to conversation ratio. If one of them has to suffer, it's the cell phone. Sorry, friends. I have to respect the space I'm sharing with literally millions of other people.

The other night around 10pm I dropped in on Ralph's for some orange juice. The crowds were INSANE. Who does full-on shopping at 10pm?! But I stuck it out because I'm mature now. When I got in line, there was this girl with a rat tail, but it was styled, so I guess that makes it okay. She talked loudly into her ear piece while looking at a display for peaches. Most importantly, she was sort of near the line. After standing in line for about a minute, a curt voice behind me says, "Excuse me, sir. I was standing over there, and you got in line." So I said, "Sorry, I didn't see you over there", and let her in.

Then, confirming my assumptions about her, she told her friend on the phone, "Yeah, so today I saw You, Me, and Dupree, and it really got to me because there's a relationship in it. It just made me think."

Maybe another time I'll discuss the differences between Ralph's, which is actually pretty civilized, and Trader Joe's, which is a hub of every-man-for-himself anarchy shopping.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com