< SPRINNGGG BREEAAAKKKK!!!! <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Exotic Cuisine
There's a new fast food place at the corner of Beverly and Vermont. I drive past it every time I go to Marah's, and for weeks I couldn't figure out what the hell it was. It's bright yellow and had a fat, red mascot. Then a name appeared: Jollibee. When it finally opened, they put up signs declaring, Juicy Yumburger! and Spicy Chickenjoy!

"Ah", I mused. "Those foreigners are at it again".




















Apparently, Jollibee is huge in the Phillipines. The red mascot is a superior Ronald McDonald, at least, that's what this picture leads me to believe.








I definitely appreciate any corporation whose mascot will bully another's mascot, but I don't think I can eat something called a Juicy Yumburger. Clearly it's an awkward translation but still, the name's just a little too excited. Is this the short man's complex of beef? At least with the Crispy Bangus Belly, they just come right out and admit they're serving innards.

In a way, Jollibee is a perfect sequel to Chano's, the Mexican fast-food place that used to occupy the same building. Chano's is the home of the cryptically titled Mixed Up Burger, which is an impossibly greasy beef patty topped by pastrami, egg, cheese, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mayo, relish, onions, etc. We ordered it once out of curiosity. Somewhere there's pictures of different people posing with it. But I think I have to draw the line here.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com