< SPRINNGGG BREEAAAKKKK!!!! <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

pantload
I didn't loathe Crash with the same zest of most people I know, but I remember walking out of the theatre being pretty underwhelmed. Then I kinda forgot about it until the oscar nominations came out and suddenly everyone started gushing about it. Then I kinda forgot about it again. Then, on Sunday, while watching all the clips during the Oscars, I remembered why I didn't like it. And now that it's won Best Picture, I have to say something because, you know, it's trendy to weigh in.

The biggest problem is the retardedly unrealistic story. Through contrived coincidences of discrimination, it suggests Angelenos are only connected by their blatant racism for each other. My friend, Addy grew up in Watts. She says I only think this movie is unrealistic because I'm white and have never been exposed to this kind of open racism. I almost busted my rhymes about growing up on the streets of PQ, but there wasn't a camera or an audience, so what's the point? (Seriously though, I just stopped talking. How would I not sound like an asshole after she told me that?).

Obviously people exist who are as blatantly racist as the characters in Crash. So to the extent that it gives a victim catharsis, the movie does its job, apparently. But as a commentary on racism in Los Angeles, it's akin to watching an episode of Hee-Haw and saying, "ah yes, now I understand the South". It feels like Paul Haggis visited here for a week, took in the melting pot, sat in some bad traffic, and decided to write a screenplay, which I guess wouldn't be so completely annoying if the city wasn't the main character in the damn movie. I love Don Cheadle's opening voice over, which basically says, "maybe people in LA get in car accidents just so they can interact with each other". If only I'd thought of that when I was single.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com