< SPRINNGGG BREEAAAKKKK!!!! <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 31, 2006

My Awful Origins
Contrary to popular belief, I haven't always been this cool. Like a lot of kids, my taste in music was copied from an older sibling. I listened to everything my brother listened to. Thankfully there was enough good stuff (The Smiths, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen) to counteract the bad (INXS, George Michael -- that's right, I said it). This might explain why I now have similar love for all things awful and great.

Anyway, around this time, maybe a little earlier, I started using my allowance for my own music, and it was strictly soundtracks. Top Gun, Karate Kid 2, Beverly Hills Cop, Dragnet -- if it was terrible, I had it. (I also wrote stories whose plots bore suspicious resemblance to those of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, and The Monster Squad). So when Fatso forwarded the Worst Videos of the 80s yesterday, I got sentimental for the bad taste of my youth. In particular, the video for "City of Crime" unmasked memories of when I'd pop the Dragnet soundtrack in my cassette player and CRANK IT. Yep, I was white.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com