< SPRINNGGG BREEAAAKKKK!!!! <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 06, 2006

Grody
Remember nice horror movies, like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Exorcist? I'm talking about when murder and mayhem was part of the story, and not the whole thing. Even Friday the 13th, the first one, for all its camp, had a creepy premise as its core. This shit freaks me out, but not necessarily because it's scary. It looks... gross. It seems like a cop out if the sole purpose of a movie is to push the limits of how disgusting a movie can be. How big are your balls, audience?! CAN YOU HANDLE THIS SHIT?!?!?! I'm all for films that eff with the audience, but GAH. I'd just rather not pay $12 to enter a pissing contest.

Another reason I'll pass is that Eli Roth's first movie pretty much sucked. It was almost redeemed by the one hilarious scene where the little kid with the mullet gets infected or whatever, and as a result, does a slow-mo spin kick off the porch... almost redeemed. Otherwise it blew.

I'm not a huge horror fan (Gay Cowboy is my genre). I definitely skipped Saws 1 and 2 (for reasons, see above), and avoided the flood of low-budge garbage that was released over the past few years (Venom, anyone?). Really, nothing's looked that appealing since 28 Days Later. To me, that sets the contemporary bar for scary movies. Not the most original concept, but it freaked my shit out, and all the gross parts felt earned. And it's smart, to boot.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com