< SPRINNGGG BREEAAAKKKK!!!! <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 29, 2005

Revival
A woman just called and asked for someone who doesn't work here. When I said, "I'm sorry, there's no one here by that name," she said, "Oh I'm sorry, I made a bamboozle." I wanted to reach through the phone and shake her hand for being the first person I've ever heard use that word in earnest. (Spike Lee doesn't count. I heard that movie sucked).

Anyway, it reminded me of when I was eight and driving with my grandmother who, upon seeing someone change lanes without looking, declared, "he sure pulled a boner!". Naturally this was extremely hilarious at the time..... and actually, it still kinda is.

I'd like to see dated words and expressions make a comeback. I'm not suggesting we wash our hands of cultural vocabulary -- the "dudeicals" and "shitbags" certainly have their place. But at the risk of sounding like a cheesedick, there's something charming about antiquated sayings. So let's mix things up with some classier phrases.... you know, like "boner". Wouldn't that actually make us cooler? The broader your base of pastiche, the better, right? Hipsters, can I get an Amen?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com