< SPRINNGGG BREEAAAKKKK!!!! <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Caffeine, you Magnificent Bastard
I am addicted to coffee. I drink and smoke too, but somehow those things are more controllable. The urges come and go in waves. But I am a ravenous pitbull, and coffee is a giant snausage. It's not like I've been hooked all my life or anything. In fact, I didn't start drinking it until graduate school. But since then, it's all been downhill. Or uphill. Whichever means we've had a complicated relationship. I don't think more than two consecutive, coffee-less days have gone by in the past four years. Lately I've even been drinking more than usual because I'm doing marathon stretches of writing.

Last night I stayed up until 2 at the computer, and when Kevin and Bean woke me up at 8:10 this morning, my first thought was, "dude, I definitely need a cup before I leave". This was just my jump start. My pre work-coffee coffee. When I got to work, I saw that someone brought in coffee and donuts for everyone, which was perfect. Now I could drink more for free! (As a rule, I don't drink what we brew at work. I'll drink gas station coffee, but the shit we get tastes like Elvis's colon).*

Cut to three cups and two donuts later. It took every fiber of might to keep my head from exploding. I indexed files at record speeds. I answered phones, wrote involved emails, read blogs, sent faxes, and researched cheap hotels in Europe at the same time. Even cracked a case or two. Everyone who approached me was greeted with a mix of cold sarcasm and friendly chipperness. Later I ate half a glazed to come down gently.

Maybe soda would be better for me. Do they still make Jolt?


*I'm talking of course about the Elvis who died with 20 pounds of impacted feces, not the dreamy, regular Elvis

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com