< SPRINNGGG BREEAAAKKKK!!!! <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 29, 2004

Warning, this first part be nasty...
The Spectacle of the Deer came to its inevitable end: guts. Sunday afternoon we came home to find a bloody carcus in place of the more, er, full-bodied animal. It just dangled there, as casual as reading the paper in your pajamas... if you read the paper in your pajamas while covered in blood and sinew. The skin, head still attached, lay in a pile beneath it. "So that's how fur coats are made," was my first thought. Then, more inexplicably, "Sam The Butcher, how could you?!". I don't remember the last time I saw an episode of The Brady Bunch, but Sam popped in my head holding a bloody cleaver and cracking wise to Alice.

This part's cruelty to animals-free, but it does get sorta cheesy
Latter part of the trip home played out like the beginning. Saw Ray and loved it, even if the story felt a little choppy. Went to my brother's for bologna sandwiches. Went to my sister's and got to see some sweet pictures. As part of the generosity of the Make A Wish Foundation, my 10 year-old niece got to come to California (all expenses paid) and have a line in a movie. She's in a scene with Scarlett Johanssen, and they have all these pictures of her with Ewan McGregor and various people on the set. All of this in addition to making $750 and receiving SAG memebership. Of course, that's nothing compared to having her make up and hair done by a "movie lady".

In the Making My Mom Proud category, I went to Church hung over on Sunday. Saturday night my brother and sister-in-law stayed up playing pool, drinking, and ranting about the war. Then it was 3:30.

This was the most relaxing vacation with the rents in a long time. Everything around the house was just more... comfortable. I've never said much of my feelings for religion, politics, movies, people, etc., to my parents because I know how they feel about those things, and conflict isn't something my family deals well with. So this trip home I guess I forgot the Agreeable Silence Rule and ranted a little. Like, when my dad was talking about how great he thought Paycheck was, and I told him it was a piece of shit. Kinda awkward for both of us. At first, he didn't really know what to do, and I felt guilty (to make up for it, I watched another of his recent favorites, Van Helsing, and held my tongue, which was no easy feat). But then we ended up making fun of each other, and it was all good. That set the tone. I made some jokes about Catholocism to my mom, she mocked the music I like (I'm not so sure that's a fair trade-off, but at least now stuff's out in the open).

And then I sat next to this guy's double on the flight home.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com